Losing a loved one is never easy, and when it happens unexpectedly and without a clear explanation, it can be even more difficult to process. Many fatal accidents are preventable given the right amount of care and the proper safety measures. When someone’s negligence causes the loss of a person’s life, justice needs to be served. The wrongful death attorneys at The Law Office of J. Ridge Hicks in Mesa, AZ have years’ worth of experience investigating wrongful death claims, identifying the parties who are responsible, and using the strongest pieces of evidence to trace those parties to the event itself. Ultimately, they will use every resource at their disposal to obtain fair compensation for the family members who have been left to deal with the grief of a wrongful death. Attorney J. Ridge Hicks understands that nothing can fix the irreversible damage brought about by a wrongful death, but he also knows that holding the guilty parties responsible and having the right amount of compensation can help family members begin to rebuild their lives in Mesa, AZ, and set their sights on the future.
How Do Wrongful Deaths Occur?
Over the years, Attorney J. Ridge Hicks has dealt with many claims involving wrongful death in Mesa, AZ, all of which have had unique causes and circumstances. The following are just a few examples of the ways in which a wrongful death can occur in Mesa, AZ, and the ways in which a seasoned attorney can help:
- Vehicle accidents- Whether two cars collide, a commercial truck rear-ends a passenger vehicle on the highway, or a motorist fails to look for a pedestrian or bicyclist before making a turn, vehicle accidents can literally occur in the blink of an eye, and the injuries can be catastrophic. People commonly lose their lives as a result of negligent, distracted, or intoxicated drivers. However, defects in the road and construction near roadways can also cause accidents. In some cases, the exact cause of an accident won’t immediately be clear, but it’s a wrongful death attorney’s job to investigate the circumstances surrounding an accident until liability can be securely tied to the at-fault parties involved. As the family member of someone who has lost their life due to a vehicle accident in Mesa, AZ, the wisest thing you can do is contact an attorney who will immediately launch an investigation, contact eye witnesses, and obtain video footage that may be available from businesses nearby the scene of the accident. If you wait too long, critical evidence could disappear, and with it your chances for justice and compensation.
- Fatal injuries in the workplace- Many jobs require employees to operate heavy and potentially dangerous machinery or enter inherently dangerous areas. Every employer has a duty to maintain reasonably safe working conditions, which includes maintaining and ensuring that equipment is functioning properly, providing appropriate warnings to employees of potential dangers, and implementing and enforcing policies and protocols that eliminate as many dangers as possible. When someone sustains an acute injury leading to death during the course of employment, there should be an immediate investigation into the exact cause of their death. It is important to understand, however, that not all workplace deaths occur acutely. For example, mesothelioma and other cancers caused by unsafe working conditions can develop slowly over the course of many years before a worker receives a diagnosis. A wrongful death attorney will analyze the circumstances surrounding a workplace death in Mesa AZ, determine who may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim, and guide the surviving family members through the process of obtaining justice and compensation for their loss.
- Medical malpractice- Medical care is sought in order to maintain health and extend our lives, but tragically, some people lose their lives in the process of receiving medical care. While some medical procedures can result in death without any fault on behalf of a practitioner or hospital, other procedures end in death when they shouldn’t. Medical malpractice law in Mesa, AZ isn’t straightforward, and claims can be very difficult to prove. For this reason, an experienced wrongful death attorney will be absolutely necessary.
Can I File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Not everyone can file a wrongful death claim in Mesa, AZ. An attorney will be able to explain why you are or are not eligible, but in general, the following individuals are able to file claims:
- The spouse of the deceased party
- The child of the deceased party
- The parent or guardian of the deceased party
- The personal representative of a deceased spouse, child, or parent/guardian
- The personal representative of the deceased party’s estate
When Can I File A Wrongful Death Claim in Mesa, AZ?
In accordance with the statute of limitations on wrongful death claims set by the state of Arizona, a case must be filed within two years of the death. If this deadline for filing a claim is missed, there will be little to no recourse for pursuing justice. In order to ensure that your rights are protected and that the responsible parties are held accountable for their wrongdoing, you should obtain an attorney as quickly as possible after the loss of a loved one.
Most cases settle before going to court. Being prepared to go to court is the best way to accomplish this. We have the courtroom and litigation experience needed to see a serious injury or wrongful death case through to its successful conclusion.
Call For A Free Consultation (480) 588-5999